Have you ever wondered what are The Rules to Success?
I bet you have.
Have you ever wondered what are Your Rules to Success?
I bet you haven’t.
Picking your own Personal Rules to Success is one of the best ways to begin living a successful life. If you define what success means to you and create 10 principles that support it, you will set up your life to win by default. Imagine winning the game of life just for showing up.
Define Your Success
Before you can begin picking your Personal Rules to Success, it is important to define what a successful life means to you.
A person who defines success as becoming a millionaire could have an entirely different rulebook than say someone who wants to graduate from college. To find what being successful means to you, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- What does it mean to me to be successful?
- I would consider myself successful if I…
- In one year if I accomplished ___ I would consider it a success.
- Who would I consider to be successful? Why do I consider them successful?
It is important to define what success means to you because it gives you a vision of what you want your life to become. With a clear vision of success, you will then be able to create principles to live by in order to turn your vision into a reality.
Take From The Stars
When you create your Personal Rules to Success, you have to start somewhere. Richard Koch in, The 80/20 Principle, says that one way to become successful is to find the most successful people in your industry and do what they do. Why not start with what some of the most successful people in the world would say about success?
- Don’t live a limited life
- Have passion
- Design yourself
- Don’t sell crap
- Build a great team
- Don’t do it for the money
- Be proud of your products
- Build around customers
- Marketing is about values
- Stay hungry, stay foolish
- Find your passion
- Hire well
- Don’t care what others think
- Read, read, read
- Have a margin of safety
- Have a competitive advantage
- Schedule for your personality
- Always be competing
- Model success
- Give unconditional love
- Understand the next right move
- Seize your opportunity
- Everyone makes mistakes
- Work on yourself
- Run the race as hard as you can
- We are all seeking the same thing
- Find your purpose
- Stay grounded
- Relax, it’s going to be okay
- Never give up
- Really like what you do
- Don’t listen to the little man
- Take a risk
- Do something important
- Focus on signal over noise
- Look for problem solvers
- Attract great people
- Have a great product
- Work super hard
- You get what you spend your time doing
- Get feedback
- Make mistakes
- Hire people who you would work for
- Make change in the world
- Learn from the people around you
- Build a really good team
- Give the very best experience
- Care the most about it
- Social bonds are critical
Your Own Path
If you want to create your rules from scratch here are some questions to help you mind storm:
- What do you value most in life?
- What would you say are the characteristics of a successful person?
- You are the most successful person in your industry. What are your roles and responsibilities?
A Rule to Success should be a life principle you hold dear. A code you can live by. Something that you find honorable and virtuous. Examples:
- Start early, work harder, and stay later.
- Love with all you have.
- Commit to a life of learning.
Don’t think your list is set in stone. As you grow your list may change, because your definition of success may change. For example, success early in your life could be to graduate from college. Later on, it may be supporting your family. For now, focus on creating rules for your current season of life.
Get out a pen and paper. Yes, that’s right a pen and a paper.
- Write down what becoming successful means to you. (5 minutes)
- Take from the stars, or make your own, and write down your 10 Personal Rules to Success. (10 minutes)
- Share your list with your friends and family.
Only the Beginning
This exercise actually has two parts. Later, we will dive deeper and discover your Master Rules to Success in a future post. I will leave you with my definition of success and my Personal Rules to Success. Cheers.
Success to me is…
Starting a business and bringing positive value into people’s lives. Success to me is becoming financially independent. It is the pursuit of knowledge.
My 10 Rules to Success
- Commit to a life of learning
- Cook well
- Inspire greatness
- Read often
- Learn from the experts
- Form good habits
- Good food, good folk
- Be true to yourself
- Find your passion